When choosing a lash treatment, many clients opt for a Lash Lift & Tint, whilst others opt to have Lash Extensions. This month, Kintija Belska, Lash Expert at Elleebana Europe discusses the benefits of having a Lash Lift & Tint vs Lash Extensions and the key considerations for both treatments. Whether you are a lash artist starting up, an experienced pro lifter, or maybe even a client; points here have been drafted to to be of an interest to all!
What are the benefits of having a Lash Lift & Tint?
- The Elleebana Lash Lift & Tint is a fast treatment, which typically takes around 40 minutes for results lasting up to 8 weeks.
- It lasts until the natural lash falls out at the end of its lash cycle.
- A Lash Lift & Tint will produce visually longer-looking natural lashes.
- Lash Lifts & Tints are waterproof and smudge proof.
- A Lash Lift & Tint will open the eyes up and make the natural lash arrangement more perfect and even, it is also a great confidence booster.
- It is maintenance-free, besides taking some care within the first 24 hours not to get the lashes wet, there are very few limitations.
- You can still rub and touch your eyes post Lash Lift & Tint, although you might find a slight change in texture.
- It is safe to be undertaken whilst pregnant or breast-feeding.
- It can be left to grow out naturally; no removal is necessary.
What are the key considerations for Lash Lifts?
- Results depend on the length and quality of the natural lashes; although everyone will see noticeable results, for those with naturally longer and thicker lashes, the results will be more dramatic, often resembling lash extensions.
- Over-processing is a risk, but there are ways to prevent this risk with the right products and processing times (and would only influence the visible lash, all future lashes would grow back exactly as they were prior to the treatment).
- Extremely short and sparse lashes may not achieve the desired effect; therefore the best option would be to opt for lash extensions in this case.
- Allergic reactions are possible, therefore please ensure a patch test is undertaken before the service is required.
- On rare occasions, a lift may not take in one session or drop within days; this can be the case with new clients as the artist learns about their lashes and may require another session. However, this is an infrequent occurrence.
What are the benefits of having Lash Extensions?
- An immediate effect, even clients with short and sparse lashes can achieve dramatic results.
- Long-lasting (up to 4 weeks before needing an infill).
- Lightweight and comfortable (if done correctly).
- Great for special occasions, but also very popular for daily wear.
- No need for mascara and many clients also stop using any eye makeup, as lash extensions provide significant improvement in appearance.
- Huge selection of lash types and looks allows creation of a bespoke look.
- Waterproof and smudge proof.
- Visually longer and fuller lashes, a great confidence booster.
- It can be undertaken whilst pregnant, but may not be ideal after 6+ months due to the time they take to complete. Can be done whilst breast-feeding.
What are the key considerations for Lash Extensions?
- Lash extensions require regular salon visits to maintain the look (usually every 3-4 weeks).
- You cannot rub your eyes whilst wearing lash extensions.
- It can be damaging to the natural lashes if extensions are too long/ thick or glued together (but the damage is not permanent, as new lashes constantly replace the old ones through the growth cycle).
- Makeup can build up in-between the lashes and normally requires a specialised cleanser and a brush to keep clean.
- Oil-based products should be categorically avoided around the eye area and on the lashes.
- Steam rooms and saunas are not recommended and will shorten the life of extensions.
- Require to be brushed daily.
- Can be accidentally pulled off when putting on jumpers overhead.
- Will require professional removal.
- Full set takes on average 2.5 hrs to complete.
- Expensive with the initial costs and maintenance required.
- Can cause an allergic reaction therefore, a patch test is recommended.
Which will cause the least amount of damage to your natural lashes - a lash lift and tint or lash extensions?
Both can be damaging during an incorrect procedure, but if we consider that both services have been undertaken correctly, lash extensions will still be more damaging. This is due to adhesive having a drying effect and can cause natural lashes to break. Still, mainly damage is done due to clients forgetting about the lash extensions, rubbing them, and causing natural lashes to be pulled out. Finally, most clients do not follow proper removal procedures and often pick them off when they have less than a half remaining as they can't bear the patchy look.
Lash lift on the other hand would grow out naturally, besides processing time of about 15 minutes, there are no other products that remain on the lashes and could cause drying overtime (such as glue on lash extensions).
Which is more expensive, a lash lift or lash extensions?
Lash extensions would generally be more expensive initially and also due to reasonably regular infills necessary to keep up with the look. An average price for initial lash lift service is anything between £50.00 - £200.00 in a salon environment. Additionally there are infill costs every 3-4 weeks of about £40.00 - £80.00.
With lash lift, clients normally have the service done every 6-8 weeks, on average lash lift costs between £30.00 - £70.00 in a salon environment.
I hope this helped you learn a little more about pro’s and con’s for both lash lift and lash extensions. This might help you make a decision which service to learn more about, have done for your next special event or simply be aware of information to share with your clients.
These is no better or worse service, there is only one that is right for you!